Labels

Friday, April 5, 2013

Vision Drives me

I read some wonderful words this morning from John Maxwell's devotional, A Leader's Heart that inspired me.  He said this:

"One of the most valuable benefits of vision is that it acts like a magnet-attracting, challenging, and uniting people.  The greater the vision, the more winners it has the potential to attract.  The more challenging the vision, the harder the participants fight to achieve it."

Wow.  That is mind blowing to me.  When I think of getting people on board to follow a vision or to serve with me, I try to make it easy for them -  the path of least resistance.  People are busy, burdened and distracted.  If I stand a chance at catching them, it's going to be because I made it simple and accessible for them.

However, a tested leader and author challenges my thinking.  He suggests otherwise.

People are attracted to greatness.  They are inspired by a vision which calls them up to something big and meaningful.  When they see a vision of what could be, they are willing to commit themselves fully and sacrifice much.

Not everyone will answer the call.  Not all will get in line and enlist.  Many will wait and watch.  Others will mock - that's the easy thing to do.

The author, Maxwell says that one attribute of a vision that others can buy into is that "it meets the needs of others." In other words, the vision is more than just about the leader.  It's about helping people and making life better for others.

For me, this reinforces the power of vision.  Busy, overwhelmed people will sign up for a vision that they can see, hope for, and benefit from.  People want to be part of something bigger than themselves,  a legacy that spans beyond the here and now.  Quality people count it an honor to sacrifice for something meaningful.

As I reflect on the vision that drives me, I go back to a clear calling in my life to lead a pioneering work for Christ Fellowship in Martin County.  My vision is:

To bring the mission and impact of Christ Fellowship to Martin County.  The mission of Christ Fellowship is: to impact our world with the love and message of Jesus; everyone, everyday, everywhere.



That is my passion.  That still gets me up in the morning.  That keeps me doing the hard things and leading from the front.

To accomplish that, I need:


  • Personal growth (Integrity, Character, skills, insight)
  • People who will join me - commitment, leadership, complimentary skill sets
  • Resources - facilities, finances, tools
  • Wisdom (from God and from wise counselors)
  • Preparation - networking within Martin County, strategy, communication to team, evaluation so we can improve and become more effective
  • Focus (requires pruning and prioritizing)
  • Energy (requires health and honoring the Sabbath)


Palm Sunday, 2013 at South Fork High School


My family worshipping and leading, beside me and behind me
So, let me challenge you to answer the vision question for yourself.
  • What is your vision?
  • Is it bigger than you?
  • Does it span beyond just the here and now?
  • Does it benefit others?
  • What will you need to do in order to accomplish your vision?
Take a moment to search your heart.   Draw from your past and your life.  Seek the heart of God and allow Him to reveal His great purpose and vision for your life.  He is waiting to show You a great vision of what could be!

Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the Lord with all of your heart.  Lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct Your path.








No comments:

Post a Comment