Labels

Monday, September 9, 2013

Brand New




Every year, I allow myself the freedom to spend money on some new clothes.  My wife has helped me realize the importance of looking modern.  ;)     So, I will go shopping with my wife who helps me pick out a few new outfits that I can utilize for the new season.

When I brought my new clothes home and hung them in my closet, I realized HOW LONG it had been since I had gone shopping.  :) There was a VAST difference between what I had been wearing, and what my new clothes looked like.  The colors were different, the cut of pants and shirts were different.  The look had entirely changed!

And, of course, the next few days, you know which clothes I wore to work? My new clothes.  I felt so good walking into meetings looking modern.  I felt taller, I felt younger, I felt skinnier :)
So, after I had worn the same shirt and pants three times in the same week :) , I thought to myself, I guess I had better wear something different.  So, I started to go through my closet to find something, but, beyond the 3 new outfits I had bought, everything else was that old and faded look...

   
It took me a couple of days, but I finally decided it was time to schedule a "cleaning day." I needed to go through my closet and purge out some of my old and faded shirts and some of my old and faded pants. So a few days later, I attacked my closet.  I saw so much stuff in my closet that I had forgotten was there.  I saw old shoes, posters, books, old belts. I found a dirty t-shirt that I had just laid down and forgotten to wash :(   there was dust and junk everywhere.  In fact, I had to schedule another day just to go through and clean and organize the room.  I did not realize what a project I had gotten myself into.  

This is a picture of the inner part of our life.  All of us have a "closet" where we keep our hidden stuff.  We can let the junk, the dust, and the dirty t-shirt collect in our space.  And because we are so busy, we let things accumulate.  We can get so used to the mess, that we let the dirty, smelly t-shirt remain on the floor to stink up all of the clothes.

There is a lesson in this, so I thought I would share it with you :) Three simple points:

1. Our "old" does not compare to God's "new"
It's amazing how we get used to and live with our junk, our addictions, and negative thinking! The truth is that we are scared of change and fearful of new things.  I know I tend to resist change, probably for fear of the unknown.  Truth be told, we are more comfortable with holding on to our security blanket of our familiar junk than reaching for something new and better.  A month ago, I would never have believed that I would be wearing the modern clothes I am now wearing.  Now, I can't imagine wearing the clothes that I USED to wear.  To understand the love, the power, the freedom of God, you have to EXPERIENCE IT FOR YOURSELF.  It's something you have to decide to do in your life.  No one can do it for you.
















2. Clear out to Clean up
The day I decided I needed to get a hold of my disaster area I call a closet, I thought that in just a few minutes, I could get it in tip-top shape.  However, as I started to clean and organize, I FIRST needed to clear out the old things.  The same is true in our journey with God.  You may be wondering why you are not seeing God's promises and power showing up in your life.  Maybe you need to first look in your closet, and decide that you are going to clear out some junk, some past, some hurts, some addictions.  Better yet, ask God to show you some of the stuff you need to throw away.  You see, you have to first make room for God so bring the new, fresh things that He has for you.  


Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV

Forget the former things;

    do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland.

3. Let God do His thing
See the passage of scripture in Isaiah, "See, I AM doing a new thing Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" See two things in this verse:

First, Remember it is God, and God alone who can bring newness.

Don't think that you are good enough or strong enough to change on your own.  You've tried to break your addictions- but you've failed.  You've tried to stay positive through a tough season - but you've become discouraged.  You've tried to be everyone's problem solver - but you've run out of answers.  It is at the end of your ability that God is waiting to work beautifully in your life.

Secondly, Be prepared for the new thing to be a "NEW THING."

Many times when I go to the store to buy clothes, I am looking for a new pair of jeans that look like the jeans I have on :)  How crazy is that?! Don't be surprised if God does something different that will totally surprise you.  At first, you may say "God, I wouldn't pick that out for me!" But God is saying, "trust me - these jeans will look good on you." :) God knows what you need.  You may not "perceive it".  You may not recognize it at first as being a blessing.  It may not fit right at first.  But once you put it on and walk around in it, you will soon begin to see that it not only fits, it makes you look great.  In fact, when you have a new, great outfit on, you have a whole new sense of identity and confidence! It makes you feel taller, younger, and skinnier! (not always).


Maybe you want the new thing that God has for you, but you are having a hard time understanding what it is.  Maybe for you, you have always known about God, but He has been only a marginal part of your life.

Truth be told, you still have a messy, unorganized closet - full of faded, old clothes.  God has a new life He wants to give you - some new clothes that will change your whole look and feel.  And the great thing is, He will change you, fix you, and provide for all of your needs.  

But before He changes you, He simply wants you to know that He loves you.

God accepts you even with your closet.  God accepts you - the question is: will you accept Him?

To accept Him, pray this simple prayer:

Father, thank you for loving me, just as I am.  I accept your gift of love for me.  Thank you for sending your Son, Jesus Christ to die for my sins and for my closet.  Forgive me of my sin and cleanse me- from the inside out.  Make me a new person.  Take out the old and bring new life.  I trust in You alone to save me and I surrender to your purpose for my life.  

In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment