Labels

Monday, November 9, 2015

Self Discovery is the Best Teacher


I started piano lessons at 5 years old.  My mom found a piano teacher in a town 45 minutes away, because she heard he was a good teacher.  Looking back, we realize he was a “not-so-good” teacher.  He was a grumpy, old man who smoked heavily next to me as I nervously tried to follow his instruction.  My mom found a better teacher locally - an elderly lady who played the organ in a Lutheran church.  She was kind, but strict.  


In spite of these well-meaning but un-inspiring teachers, I fell in love with the piano and with music.  My dad was a gifted pianist and had a beautiful grand piano in our home in the front room, away from the television and kitchen area (that’s important by the way to have a music room separate and private.) 



My best piano lessons truly came from time by myself playing songs “by ear”.  At 13 years old, my dad could see that I was progressing slowly and painfully on the piano through conventional piano lessons and methods.  One day, he bought a new cassette tape and piano book (yes, cassette tape!!) of a new Christian artist, Michael W. Smith.  Michael W. Smith was a young, gifted piano player and used keyboards and synthesizers in his songs.  I was awe-struck ——  I was inspired immediately. 


I started listening to this fresh, new music and then went to the piano and tried to mimic it.  At first, I could just pick out the melody with one finger.  I tried opening the book of sheet music for the songs my dad had bought, but I was not really fast at reading music, and I was too impatient to have to pick out all of the notes.  I remember even bringing the stereo (which was big and heavy) in to the piano room and would play the cassette tape, pause it and then try to find the notes on the piano.  

Another method I learned to play the piano was by listening to my dad and grandma play the piano and organ in church.  After church, I would sneak up to the piano and try to mimic some of the musical passages and styles they would do.  Again, just a few notes and simple chords for a while - actually, frustrating and discouraging at times, because I could not play beautifully and fluidly like my dad could (he was great! one of the best.)

By 16 years old, I was now able to add more chords and fluency to my piano “vocabulary.” I was able to take the 10 songs I could imitate from the Michael W. Smith album, and also start to experiment some of the songs I knew from church and begin to discover new arrangements I could make on my own.  I loved Christian artists like Amy Grant, the Imperials, Russ Taff, Andrea Crouch.  I got really good at imitating their songs - quick to play exactly what I heard.  I started experimenting by transposing to other keys.  

I continued taking conventional piano lessons through all of this, learning classical.  That was helpful in rounding out my musical influence and ability, for sure.  But all of the Gospel, the Jazz, the church music and the modern music came through self discovery.  No one helped me with that - well….Michael W. Smith and my dad and grandma did :)  

One simple thought from my long narrative: Self Discovery is the best teacher.  

I have taught piano, voice and music for over 20 years.  I believe in music lessons and love great teachers.  But one concept I instilled in each student is that they MUST go on a personal odyssey of experimentation, of discovery for themselves.  They must find artists that inspire them, intrigue them and begin trying to imitate them.  It is difficult at first, but they will see themselves grow immensely.  Each “self lesson” will build on the next, and they will develop musical vocabulary - they will hone their musical ear to be quick and accurate.  


I know this is focused on the piano.  However, this concept of Self Discovery spills over in to all areas.  I believe the best athletes, the best public speakers, the best, artists, the best minds all do this.  

Challenge yourself to find something that inspires YOU, that intrigues YOU, and start your own, personal odyssey of self discovery!









1 comment:

  1. Awesome insights Pastor Matt! :) Aligning our passions and intentionality to God's design is life-giving. Thanks for all you do to impact others.

    ReplyDelete