Labels

Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Power of Music


The Lord showed me how important music is for me, in particular.  While on a short vacation away from work and routine, I had a morning to do exactly what I wanted.  I was enjoying family, working outside (which relaxes me), reading, praying, resting.  I had some beautiful piano music and I was so calm and happy and peaceful.  


God showed me how music is one the best ways to get me to slow down and pay attention.  Because I am musical, my ear is in tune to every note, every rise and fall, every emotion and nuance that the music plays.  I listen for the timbre of the instrument, how the instrument is miced, what the size and features of the room are where the recording took place.  I can imagine the musician playing the instrument with every note and phrase performed.  I can actually imagine the TYPE of personality of the person playing the instrument.  Isn’t that weird? Don’t believe me??  I can.  I have studied music all of my life.  I love music.  



I have been studying different personality types recently.  I am intrigued with people, just like I am with music.  I love to study people.  What makes them do what they do? Feel what they feel? Believe what they believe?  

Of course, in my study of people, I have really studied my personality type: my design, my gifts, my faults, my tendencies.  


God showed me through study that I tend to be driven, anxious, busy, push hard.  I tend to move to the next project or thing.  I have to be more intentional to stop and pause and reflect - to live in the moment and enjoy life.The Lord showed me how important music is for me, in particular.  While on a short vacation away from work and routine, I had a morning to do exactly what I wanted.  I was enjoying family, working outside (which relaxes me), reading, praying, resting.  I had some beautiful piano music and I was so calm and happy and peaceful.  



You cannot tell music how to make you feel - you cannot dictate the journey it takes you on.  The music commands you, it stops you, it leads you, it challenges you.  You cannot speak back to music - it is speaking and you must listen. 


Another interesting antecdote that music has helped me with is my speech.  As a young man, my motor skills were not the best.  I had a mild stuttering problem.  It usually revealed itself when I was either tired, excited or anxious.  It was embarrassing.  I discovered that when I sang music that I did not stutter.  Music forced me to talk according to the rhythm that the music set for me.  It took all of the pressure and anxiety of talking.  In my teenage years, I did A LOT of singing!  I put “2 and 2 together” and realized that I could use the beat of music to say a phrase, it would come out much more clearly.  So, as I was with a group of friends and wanted to say something, I would first think through what I wanted to say, then would create a song in my head with that one phrase, practice it in my head.  Then, when I had an opportunity to speak, I would say the words just like the song in my head.  It REALLY helped me!



Do you struggle with anxiety? With fast pace? Can’t turn off your busy mind? On to the next thing?  Use beautiful music as your secret solution.  Sing along to it.  Hum to it.  Sit and listen to it.  Invest some of your $$ in some great music and find peace and clarity.  Let music slow your pace for a slower, happier life.  







No comments:

Post a Comment