Labels

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Define the Culture



Jesus Christ is the greatest leader history has ever seen.  One reason I can make that claim is that He had the biggest and most lasting impact on mankind - Christianity.  What intrigues me is how Jesus accomplished this – through disciples – common people.  These men and women were NOT leaders, not nobility.  They were different from each other.  They had issues and struggles in their lives.

So, how in the world did one man, Jesus get a motley crew of common people to work as a team and follow His leadership? Jesus did not pay them a salary.  His task was not an easy one, nor had it every been done before.  The price to join His team was high, yet these disciples willingly gave up everything to follow Jesus – some eventually gave their very lives.  How did Jesus develop these undeveloped, undisciplined individuals into a team of powerful leaders that would build the greatest organization in the world?

The Answer:

- Jesus defined the culture with his people -

Define Your Culture

If you want to make an impact, if you have a calling in your life to accomplish something great and lasting, you will soon learn that you must partner with people. 

To enlist great people and to keep them, you must have a great culture.  YOU CAN build that.  YOU DEFINE that.

It takes nurturing, investing, feeding, celebrating.  My friend and Mentor, Kadi Cole says “you GET what you CELEBRATE.” You must be intentional at creating that culture.

There are three ways that I view the people around me - three ways I DEFINE the CULTURE:

1. A Winning Team
I want the people I work with to feel like we are all a team.  I clarify for each person what their role is on the team and how the part they play interacts with others.  I constantly point people to our shared mission.  I set goals for the team and then demand that team members set personal goals for themselves – all aligning with and accomplishing the mission.  I celebrate the team when we accomplish goals.  A great team loves to win the game.  I make sure to celebrate markers that show we are winning – we are accomplishing our mission – and, we are working together as a team! 
We work hard –  We play hard.   ....and we do it together.

2. Growing Leaders
A healthy culture is full of people that are growing.  Healthy things grow.  A sign of healthy people is that they are growing - and when they begin growing, they become motivated to grow more – to reach higher! When you help people around you grow, you are saying to them “You are valuable to me.  You are worth my time and investment.  I see potential in you.” People around you begin to realize that they are more than just a team member, they can expand their influence and have greater impact!

3. Loving Family
People’s deepest longing is their need to belong.  They want to be loved unconditionally.  When you build the culture of a loving family, you create a sense of belonging and security.  A loving family culture says “I care more about WHO YOU ARE than WHAT YOU DO.” John Maxwell says “People don’t care how much you know until the know how much you care.” The most worthwhile time you can spend is to take time to care for people around you.  That takes patience, and listening, and a desire to understand.

I want you to know something – 

YOU can define your culture.  

You can create an environment where great people are drawn to you and want to accomplish great things with you. 


Take a few simple steps this week to begin defining your culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment